Here’s our latest video of the abandoned Merchiston hospital.
Merchiston Hospital was a hospital for mental health descended from Broadfield Hospital which was opened in 1925 and catered for mentally deficient men. Broadstone House was purchased by Paisley Burgh in 1929 to accommodate mentally deficient females and juveniles. Broadfield and Broadstone were administered as a single hospital. In 1946, Broadfield was sold to the Port Glasgow Town Council, who cleared the site. Paisley Burgh bought Merchiston House as a replacement and patients were moved there in 1948. This facility was known as Broadfield Hospital, Merchiston Unit. In 1958 two new wings were added providing an extra 70 beds. In 1979 Merchiston was redeveloped with four 30-bedded units built to a modern bungalow design. In 1948, with the advent of the National Health Service, the management of Broadfield (including the Merchiston Unit) was assumed by the Board of Management for Greenock and District Hospitals. In 1974 it passed into the care of the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and Clyde Board. The hospital closed in 2007-2008 with patients being moved to neighboring hospitals.
More information here: http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/gghb/collects/ac44.html